Sunday 15 January 2012

Day 15: Homemade Daily Challenge

Well the hangover is still lingering a little (such a lightweight) but I still managed a nice day shopping with the family yesterday, we went to the Library and I found a magazine that was suprisingly good, it is not one I would have picked up in a shop but after browsing through it I went to Smith's and bought a copy of my own.
It's called Homes and Antiques and it is really is a magazine of two halves, the first is a bit lifestyle/interiors but this month's had quite a few good craft ideas with a vintage twist (as you might expect from the title) but the second half is a bit more serious antiques, I'm not really into this but the first half more than made up for it. It also has a classified section for people selling antiques and diary dates for vintage and collectible fairs around the country.

Because I felt a little delicate I decided I need some home comfort food last night and so made a chicken and mushroom pie which is a really simple recipe. If I am buying a pack of shortcrust pastry I make a couple of pies the other in the photo is a corned beef and onion which I have baked and have now frozen for a midweek supper.



(It's not the best photo in the world but I was in a rush to eat it).



Serves 2-3
You will need:

1 Onion
12 Mushrooms
2 Chicken breasts
2 smll pots single cream
1/2 pint chicken stock

Shortcrust party (I bought mine but you can make your own if you feel like you need to)

What you do:
  1. Fry off the onion and mushrooms and add the chicken (cube it first), once it has browned preheat oven to 160C ish and boild the kettle.
  2. Add a crumbled stock cube to the frying pan and 1/2pint of water, enough to just cover the chicken. Give is a stir and turn up the heat so it boils and kind of poaches the chicken. After about 5 mins add the cream (you might not need it all) and turn the pan to a simmer, stir every minute or so while you roll out the pastry.
  3. After about 10 mins the pan mixture should have reduced to a thick creamy consistency, if not turn the heat up and keep stirring!
  4. Season and add the mix to a pie dish. Egg wash around the lid of dish and place pastry over the top, cut a couple of slits in the top and egg wash the top.
  5. Bake in oven for around 15-20 mins until browned.

I like to serve this with mash, brussells and carrots.

2 comments:

Thecraftytrundler said...

Nomnomnomnom!!! : )
Sounds delish!!!!

Sharon xx

Unknown said...

lol, it was!! xxx