Thursday 19 January 2012

Day 19: Homemade Daily Challenge

Baking day

For years I was a stranger to baking, but since becoming a Mum I have baked considerably more (which wouldn't be difficult as I didn't bake at all prior to motherhood). I don't know really why I have decided I like to bake now when I always bought cakes previously, is it a maternal instinct thing kicking in? Or it could just be that homebaking (even if like me you are a little bit rubbish at it) always tastes fantastic. It's also a pretty cheap way to entertain your toddler for about an hour and you get to eat the fruits of your labour at the end. 

So we have just baked these cookies, and they are very yummilicious, dead easy to make if you don't have all the ingredients I think you could easily substitute the brown sugar for all white, I used half butter half Stork margarine.

The recipe was adapted from this book which can be bought at amazon


The Recipe: (makes 12)

125g softened butter
75g white sugar
75g soft light brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
200g self raising flour
100g sugar coated chocolates (I used Smarties)

  1. Preheat oven to 190C/375FGas 5. Line two baking sheets with parchment.
  2. Cream butter and sugars together until light and fluffy, beat in the egg and vanilla.
  3. Sift in flour and beat into mix. Add Smarties.
  4. Drop rounded tablespoons of mixture onto baking sheet, spaced well apart as they will double in size whilst in the oven.
  5. Bake until golden 8-10 minutes.
  6. Cool on the baking sheets for a few minutes and transfer to cooling racks
They are particularly delicious if you eat them still warm with ice cream as the chocolate is crunchy and gooey.  The recipe states they are best eaten on the day they are made (who am I to argue).





We packaged some up for Eva's granny (who she calls Ninny).

4 comments:

Deanne said...

awwwww she really needs to bake me a batch too :) x

Unknown said...

I'm sure she would love to bake for you, she does not stop talking about you, Riley and Riley's cousin Jack!!! (No idea where she got that info from). You have definitely made an impression :) x

Thecraftytrundler said...

Your little one looks as though she enjoyed helping immensely!! I must say, they do look yummy!!!
Last time I baked with my granddaughter, we made Dorset apple cake with a crunchy cinnamon & apple topping!!! I must say we all enjoyed eating it ;D

Sharon xx

Unknown said...

Ooh you must let me have that recipe, sounds awesome!!! Linds xx